Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Weekend Workshop - Michael Good

I was very fortunate to have taken a 2 day workshop with Michael Good this weekend. For those who may not know, Michael Good is a master anticlastic metalsmith. He creates exquisite, flowing forms - liquid in their design and crafting. My attempts at anticlastic raising, while being FAR from Michael's flawless works, were actually not too horrible and I find myself incredibly intrigued by the technique.

Having said that, its no surprise that the Tuesday Tutorial is on an anticlastic technique.

Anticlastic Raising Tutorial

Back to the workshop. The workshop was held at MICA in Baltimore and I had the opportunity to connect with some folks I hadn't seen in a while and also make new acquaintances. One is Lisa, of Roussell Family Arts, who lives right in my small town of Ellicott City. I am hoping that Lisa and I can support and encourage one another.

I was also very fortunate to meet Wayne Werner and to get a close up look at some of his work. Wayne is an extremely accomplished artist. (pics of his work coming....) And I am completely inspired by his creations. From what I understand, Wayne cold works much of his pieces. He creates components with incredible detail, including mokume, and then cold connects much of it together. I have always loved the use of rivets but its been a while since I've used any. I think Wayne has inspired me to renewed use of rivets. (Wayne's website is down right now, but I'll add a link when it comes back up!)

Enjoy the raising tutorial and as always, if you make something using it, please share your experience and pictures with us on the forum!

~Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment