Thursday, April 30, 2009

My new favorite tool

I have a new favorite tool on my bench. I am not totally sure where I got it, but I know that I love it and when it dies I will surely replace it. Its handy and so easy to use, one hand operation - gotta love that! I know you are just DYING to know what it is, but you're gonna have to hang on because first I want to tell you that I'm going to start a new weekly feature - Favorites Friday .





On Friday's I will share a favorite something. It may be a tool or a technique or a food or whatever. I hope that it will be fun and informative. And no, I won't make you wait until tomorrow to hear my current new fave - BUT, I also want to say that I think I am going to actually begin my other new regular feature this week as well, or...hmm. Maybe not. I need to space it out. Lets start next week on Sunday - which is actually THIS Sunday, but the start of next week. I think I'll call it - Snafu-Sunday - and I will highlight my snafus or slip-ups - and either show/share how I fixed it, or solicit YOUR advice for how to fix it or do something better.





So we'll have:


Tuesdays - Tuesday Tutorial


Wednesdays - TFT (Tales from Tuesdays)


Fridays - Favorites Friday


Sunday - Snafu Sunday





And of course a smattering here and there of random posts, new work, boring crazy life...etc.





So back to the beginning of this post - my new favorite tool? I really hope this won't disappoint you, but its, well, its this:



It's a retractable sharpie - you click it on and off. YAY! No more dried out sharpies laying around because I was so engrossed in my work that I didn't put the lid back on! No more letting go of a measurement because I need two hands for the sharpie - or opening it with my teeth (baaaadd) . I am serious, this has changed the way I work - it has made things easy. Any little help is greatly appreciated in my world. It may seem a simple thing, and it is, but its GREAT! So if you don't have one - GET ONE!

Later -
Janice

10 comments:

  1. I need a batch of those little beauties. I leave the caps off my sharpies all of the time. I have about 6 in my studio and most of them are dried up. I will add these to my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's what I need. I'm always, always leaving the caps off mine and finding them dried up...must get me some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh how cool I've never even seen one of these but will now be looking for some UK outlets :)
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I was guessing it was a cup of coffee! One handed operation - easy to use & replace...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Retractable! Now Ive seen everything hehe I will definitely need to pic up some of those - also bad about putting the caps on here!
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL! I found them at our local discount dollar store and bought a whole bunch of them! Black, red, blue & green - I'm set! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOO, you're such a tease!!! I bought one of your tuts for the "Scenic Pendant". I love it. I haven't actually made anything yet, but it opened my mind to soooo many possibilities.....Seriously, whatchu talkin' 'bout??? I want pics!!!!

    Pam

    ps. I got too excited & didn't read far enough. Retractable Sharpie?? That is awesome!!! Where would we be without our Sharpies???? Great earring mandrel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, earring mandrel...good idea, Pam.
    Janice, thanks for the heads up on the latest gadget! I'm a new follower of your blog, you have a lovely jewelry sense. Will watch for the weekly posts, I'm geeked :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I use my sharpie as an earring mandrel too! Sometimes the simplest things really do make the best tools. Maybe you should add Odd and Unusual Tools to the list! Cause I know you have so much free time for all this! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janice, We got your request for the new Grimwade book but your email address does not work. We have no way to contact you.
    Call 800-876-3434 Bill

    ReplyDelete