Saturday, March 13, 2010

Graving follow up

After my last postCarol asked about gravers  - specifically:
"For the non-metalsmiths like me, could you post pics of a graver?"

But of course! I'm happy to oblige.

I don't think these came out great, but you'll get the idea.

First the gravers themselves


Four are set (not completely properly) in handles.

Two to the left show how the arrive most often.
They need to be sharpened, modified, and sunk into handles.

Gravers come in different profiles - flat, knife, oval, square, etc.

So how do you hold it?

Basically the handle should fit in the crook of the palm of your hand.

Sort of like this:

Here are some handles - round - not my favorite choice. I like ones that have a flat end or side.


And then there is this.
My gravers ball.

I love it.

It is great for holding work while raving, stone setting, all sorts of things!

It allows you to swivel and turn the work as you are performing whatever operation it is that you are working on. LOVE it.

Its one of those things that is NOT a necessity - but it sure is nice. :)

Hope that helps give a little glimpse into what a graver is Carol!

Have a great weekend all! 

It is raining like crazy here - really hard!
The road out front is starting to look like a miniature little river!!
And we've got a lot of running around to do. oh yay.

drifting along....
Janice