Thursday, August 20, 2009

Behind "A Metalsmith's Journey" Part II

I thought it was time for Part II in this yet-to-be-determined-part series.

I picked a question I get more than any other.

How do you do it all?

I usually answer, "I don't. It just seems like it" or "I might do it all, but I don't do it all well".

The truth is both, or either, or somewhere in between I suppose.

Its true - I wear many hats.

Oh so many.

And yet, some obvious ones are missing..........hmm, will have to think about that.

Anyway.

As many of you know, I'm a Mom - and a single Mom at that. I have two children who keep my life ever exciting and always busy.

I work full time outside the home.

And in my spare time I...............

- metalsmith on the side.

- facilitate (and host) the Jewelry Artists Network website and community.

- organize the yearly Jewelry Artists Retreat.

- take part in a few metals groups - online and off.

- write at least one blog.

- take workshops as I am able.

- tinker in other creative endeavors - cheese making anyone? butter from scratch? fun stuff ... and soon to come is sewing plush creatures. :)

I am an avid reader and normally have more than one book going at a time. I am curious by nature. I love 'investigating' things. I tend to be a 'deep thinker', and do a lot of musing.

I volunteer as often as I can at my son's school.

At the moment I'm not sure what else I do, or am involved in or with, but I'm sure there is something!

My hands are full, very full. That's for sure.

So how DO I do it all?

I guess I take one thing at a time to a certain degree.

On the other hand I am the QUEEN of multi-tasking. Sometimes that can cause unfortunate problems, I don't recommend it for everyone. Its not pretty when an email for one person goes mistakenly to someone else. Enough said.

I don't know how I do it all really. I just know I do. I can't say I do it all well though. Things often fall through the cracks and I get backlogged. I have often contemplated cutting things out, taking a step back...but I'm not sure what I'd give up. And usually, just when I think about that, a new endeavor pops up. ;-)

I love life.

I enjoy people.

My hands are full, but you should see my heart.

Its bursting at the seams.

I can live with that.

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment