Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Feedback as inspiration

I've never really created based on trends. Not even trends in my own shop. I know that's not a great business model, but I've always enjoyed having the freedom to just create what I want to create when I want to create it.

Mind you, I do have a few things that people really seem to like that I create as custom orders. But I've never tracked my sales and then piggybacked my designs off of that.

Until now.

I have received more compliments on this ring in the past month than I can recount.

It's been quite surprising. 



So for the past couple of weeks it's been running around in my head to make some variations of this ring. 

It doesn't hurt that I too really like this piece. :)

I believe there are many ways to alter the design and still maintain a continuity - a collection. In rings, earrings, pendants, and even armwear.

So for the first time in a long time I'm embracing 'feedback' as my inspiration. 

I'm excited about it too because its a little mini-challenge to confine my creativity rather than constantly creating something 'new'-new. I don't always force myself into a box and I think it will be good for me. It's also a direction - when right now I feel like I'm just floating with no real idea what I want to make next. Perhaps that is in part the product of taking that recent stone setting class. My brain is just sort of all over the map with stone setting specifics and ideas (or not) about how to begin translating, for instance, pave' into my work. OY.

Can you imagine?

What are you embracing these days?