Thursday, March 14, 2013

Utter disappointment - advice needed

I think this is probably the first time in my life that I've felt this particular kind of let down.

It's not an 'end of the world' kind of thing, but it has definitely thrown me for a loop and left me wondering what to do next, how to proceed, how will life as I know it go on????

OK, maybe it's not that drastic. But seriously, I'm in a quandry.

And I need help, advice, direction.

The issue?

Google.

By now I am sure everyone has heard that Google is shutting down Google Reader come July. Doing away with it - poof - gone.

I read that last night and panic set it.

Reader - gone? say whaaaaaaaaat?

I have like 200 sites in my Google Reader!  They are my friends, my inspiration, my daily dose of 'xyz'.

What's a girl to do?

I'm scrambling to find a suitable (read that SUITABLE) replacement. Right now I've got FeedDemon on the radar. But it's not sleek and smooth like Google Reader - it's also not web based. And I have to manually input all of my feeds.

I am hoping that someone steps up with a new reader that is a comparable replacement.

AND, on the flip side of this - a little over 500 of my readers presently use Google Reader for my feed. I don't want to lose any of you ! So as I explore alternatives I will share here.

You may want to subscribe by email prior to July so that you still 'get me'  when I post until you have a new reader to use.

Anyone out there use a reader that they just love? 

UPDATE: I had only scratched the surface last night in looking at some of the recommendations. Did a little more research early this morning. At the top of the pack is feedly and also theoldreader. Those are both web based which means the feed can be read on any computer which is essential to me! There was another I was looking at but I can't recall the name, want to say something pulse or pulse something.