Tuesday, April 29, 2014

I'm a litle OCD


It's true.

I have a slight tendency towards obsessive compulsive behaviors.

I'm recently finding myself more and more obsessed with jars.

Mason jars specifically. 

I have begun switching out containers in my kitchen for jars. lovely jars. beautiful glass mason jars.

I don't know why but I am kind of in love with them.

Just a little.

Lately though it's not just storage.

I have recently become rather fixated on meals in jars, cooking in jars, food prepping in jars.

There is just something so lovely about seeing the ingredients stacked up in there.

Pastas and nuts and rice and beans, food becomes a decorative element.



I've begun food prepping my breakfasts in jars. Above are several bfast starters.

Some slow oats, a few chopped nuts, a pinch of raisins, a teaspoon of chia. In the morning I chop some fruit.......... Then a splash of almond milk and off to work I go.

Today it was mango, strawberry, and apple.

After an hour or two, give it a shake and dive in with a spoon .........



sooooooooooooo good.

You can also BAKE in them. Yea, I know. CRAZY!



food in jars, cooking in jars, baking in jars

(I hear you can then cool, cover, and freeze but I haven't  gone that far yet)

Over the weekend I made a pumpkin spice bead.

Again - oh. my. gosh. so good.

I am not quite sure THIS size is a single serving -- I split it into two, but I have smaller jars that I will try as well.

I also made a 'smores in a jar' but I wasn't crazy with how that turned out so I am going to tweak that and I'll get back to you on it. :)

What about you - do you use mason jars in the kitchen? Cook in them? Store food in them?