Saturday, January 05, 2013

No resolutions - but

There are a few things that I like to do at the beginning of the year. Not only does the start of the new year just psychologically seem like a good time, but for me, I have a few days in a row off. AND the past two years I've had the house to my self - T-totally! - for 3 or 4 days. Excuse me while I wipe away a tear or two.

so anyway, basically, what I'm saying is - I have TIME.

And so what I like to do at the beginning of the year is use that time to make my life easier. Better, more efficient.

I PURGE.

Not as in fingers-down-the-throat-cuz-i-ate-too-much-over-the-holidays kind of purge. That's just gross. And REALLY unhealthy, on SO many levels. If you purge like that. Stop. Talk to someone, get help. ((hugs))

No, what I like to purge is my house -  my closet and drawers and desks and dressers.....

I like to purge my reader of blogs that have died off or ones that just aren't relevant to me anymore.

I purge the fridge, the car.....I weed through my holiday decorations as I pack them away.


Basically, I purge my life. In as many areas as I can with that window of time that I have.

I try to get rid of clutter. Baggage. Things that weigh me down.

Things that have negative consequences in my life. Not only do I have the time, but for me it helps the start of the new year really seem FRESH and NEW.

It's probably like "Spring Cleaning" for some people. (which I have been known to dive into as well - LOVE IT!) 
early wire work earrings

Sometimes, when I am doing this, I discover really cool things - like the camera I mentioned here. And the two pieces of jewelry in that post were inspired by an old brooch I made long ago and had nearly forgotten about.

And then last night when I was doing some purging of old draft posts, I came across this post where I talk a little about my beginnings in jewelry. Check it out, and yes, you can laugh!

and actually, those earrings to the left are kinda cute. I just might make some more! Those were brass and have never been worn. Follow the link for some real stunners from my early days!



What about you - do you purge around the new year? Wait until Spring? Or do you hold on to all things...? Should we call Hoarders for you? ;-)  Lemme know which way you lean.

Oh, and one more thing that January brings - registration for the JAN retreat! Don't know what that is? Well where HAVE you been? We're on our 8th year now - the retreat is a week long jewelry artists experience. We spend 7 days making from sun-up til sun-down - or beyond....people get up when they want, go to bed when they want - and spend a lot of time with tools in hand, making things, learning, laughing....relaxing.....with other like minded people. You can find out more by hopping over to the Jewelry Artists Network website. :)