Sunday, July 08, 2012

Renewed efforts

Back somewhere in 2009 I made some drastic changes to my diet. I went raw. Overnight.

It was the start of an interesting journey. I was high raw (near 98%) for quite a while and then added in some other foods and then eventually went back to eating a pretty typical SAD. (Standard American Diet).

It's not that eating raw was 'hard' but it was a significant change in how I prepared meals, how I shopped, etc. And when our kitchen at the old house was renovated things just got very chaotic and I reverted back to old habits.

In between then and now I've been all over the map with what I eat.

And boy have I felt it.

Blah.

Really, it's a wonder our bodies don't totally shut down with what we attempt to fuel them with.  So much of what people eat has zero nutritional content. Some of it might not even bee 'food' - it's chemicals and ingredients so modified that the result hardly resembles real food.

I believe that most Americans are really dumb when it comes to basic nutrition.  Some I think are misinformed, some are uninformed, and some are willfully ignorant. I've been all three.



I finally had opportunity to finish watching the documentary Forks Over Knives (thank you Gary!). I have to tell you - I HIGHLY recommend this film. You can get it on Amazon and stream it over your computer, or get a hard copy.....your library may have it. It's about the food we eat. And I honestly believe everyone should see it.


That, in combination with a book I first read back in 2009, The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen, has been the impetus for some pivotal momentum in my life. I'm eating better and feeling better.

So, as I renew my efforts to understand more about food and nutrition and improve my health, I plan to go back to blogging at my Raw Foods blog (neglected for more than a year!) though it won't be all raw. I hope some of you will join me there. I will probably only post 2 - 3 times a week with recipes and links to resources.

Hopefully it will be good food for thought though. Feel free to pop in and comment!